Beautiful Girl, Young Pilot, And A Near Death Experience

Believe it or not, once I too was a student pilot, flying Cessnas out of Mercer County airport. Most of the times I climbed into the Cessna I was with this gorgeous instructer from Columbia named Sylvia. It was Sylvia's job to make a pilot out of me, but all I cared about was the opportunity to spend the time with her.

Now, I am not much of a writer so I couldn't tell you the stories of the thrill felt when flying a single engine plane, banking left and right, circling down towards the earth with engine cut out, to learn how to land a plane that has run out of gas. Nor could I tell you how one feels to have a beautiful girl sitting next to you when you are peering out into the blue sky listening to the crackling radio voice of the control tower. So, I will do the next best...I will recommend you this story by Patric Smith, a pilot who writes for Salon.com.

The story line is fairly simple ... boy learns to fly, boy tries to impress the girl by taking her on a plane ride. Boy craps his pants realizing that in an attempt to impress the girl he almost got killed.

Flying seems so relaxing and neat when viewed from ground. But up in the air it is nothing but a taxing activity where one has to pay attention to all sorts of details, not the least of which is looking out for another plane so that you can avoid a collision. Having a gorgeous girl next to one is extremely distracting and a necessarily hazardous activity. I am amazed I didn't kill myself.

What am I saying, it was Sylvia really who kept me out of trouble!

Any way, here is the story by Patrick. You may need to watch an ad to read the story, but it is really worth it.

Enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Devesh Batra, you will be missed!!

Demise of An American Shoe Manufacturer - Odabo

Celebrating Friendship in Style